Saturday, June 7, 2008

Susannah Joy
















As I write this entry, I am beyond tired, so this won't be a long one. Just wanted to get some more pictures up of our precious little girl. Being a mama is OVERWHELMING in every way. Words cannot describe the experience, but I do want to try in a few days when I am feeling a bit more settled into this role and all its beautiful demands. I will share our birth story, as well as gushings from my overflowing heart. I have never, ever known love like that which I have for Susannah Joy. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, and I am brought to tears every time I look at her or think about her! Bringing her home this afternoon made me weep...at her beauty, at God's faithful provision of her, and at the way her birth has completely changed how I see the world. And she's only three days old!
We are home from our extended hospital stay at long, long last. We were able to stay an extra day because Susannah is struggling to nurse, and the dr. and lactation consultant thought it best that we give her a bit more time to learn. She likes the "lazy daisy" way of breastfeeding: she latches on, sucks a few times, and then expects gravity (or mama) to take over and allow colostrum to drip down her throat as she sleeps. We are continuing to work and work on teaching her to suck more vigorously from my breast, but she may not succeed until my milk comes in and flows a bit more freely than does the colostrum. Hopefully by tomorrow or Monday, we'll have a little breastfeeding barracuda! In the meanwhile, we will keep up the finger-and-syringe feedings that the lactation consultant taught us to do. We are hopeful that her devoted daddy will not lose a finger to her powerful suck!!!

I am going to get in an hour of rest before her 8pm feeding. More reflections in the next few days! We are both soooooo enraptured by this little one...

Oh--For those of you who are wondering...it's hard to tell in the pictures, but her hair is indeed strawberry blonde!!!!!! In the sunlight, it looks even more red. She has officially lived up to her in utero nickname!!! Oh, I adore her...

You will notice that she is sleeping in almost all of the pictures. This is because sleep is something she has mastered beautifully (at this point, anyway!). It is not something I am familiar with, though, because her feedings take about an hour and a half...and happen every three hours (the three hours is timed from the start of one feeding to the start of the next). The pictures are in reverse order...from Grammy and Pop's visit on Thursday, to time in the hospital with Mommy and Daddy, to homegoing day (today). I can't get enough, so bear with me!

13 comments:

  1. Kinda lame to comment on one's own post, but I just wanted to add two things:

    1--Doesn't she look GORGEOUS in light pink???!!!!

    2--She is already betrothed, so all those toddler boys out there need to start looking elsewhere. Sorry to break any hearts...heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you guys, Susannah Joy is so b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!! I am loving those smoochable cheeks and the hair! We had a quick trip to Staunton today and I was very tempted to try to stop buy but it didn't work out. Abi had trouble getting started with nursing so I know it can be a challenge keeping them awake, etc. Once she woke up and was interested it was all good. I pray she will get it soon so you will be more comfortable. Can't wait to hear the details! Enjoy each moment, they really are priceless, aren't they?! Sarah Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! We were both suprised that she is here already, it seems you were just dhowing when we left! She is a beauty and we can't wait to meet her sometime soon. Tell Harry congrats for me, and I'll be praying for patience as he now has three girls in the house.
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lacey She is Beautiful! You two have done a wonderful Job! hehe She is just gorgeous! I cant believe she is here already - little stinker - had to come early! Cant wait to hear all the details when you are more alert - in 20 years lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I showed Jesse your pic with Susannah Joy and explained to him that it was baby Strawberry and that she came out of your belly - he smiled I asked him if that was neat and he agreed! Congrats Again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! I am sooo happy for you and Harry. She is absolutely adorable and precious (hehe)! I am so glad we were able to sit and talk for awhile the other day. Hope everything goes well at home. Please feel free to call if you need anything at all! Congratulations again!

    Love, Cheryll

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is adorable and I too love her cheeks and hair. I look forward to meeting her. We all wait patiently (we know your time is not your own...so when you can) for the details. You know my heart can not fully express how happy I am for you.
    BIG smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lacey, oh she is just so adorable. Yes - the pink suits her well! I do remember those days of trying to figure out how to nurse and having no clue what I'm doing and a baby who is trying to learn too. Ahh, it does get better with time. I will pray for the two of you as you learn and your milk comes in.

    Thanks for sharing the pictures and your thoughts. Since I am so far away I'm glad I can at least feel a part of things through your blog. (I look forward to hearing how things went at the hospital and how everyone is settling in. But rest up as much as you can - that is definitely a top priority!! ) Give her hugs and kisses from Ian and I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to add one more comment - You too look like such proud parents! You a both glowing in the pics. This little girl is going to be well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, she's just gorgeous! congratulations to the both of you...i'd say get some sleep, but i know it's hard to put her down and stop looking at her!!

    with love and many blessings, the wheelers

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is so adorable! Congratulations! I can't wait to show Ethan the pictures in the morning. Jakki

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, so am I the only one who has noticed how her eyes are only open when she is staring adoringly at Harry?!? Can you say Daddy's little girl? Oh Lacey, God is so very, very good!! My heart is so full of wonder and joy and love -cannot WAIT to meet your little miracle! Love, love, love, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is...who looks more beautiful, baby or Mama? Roommate, your are not allowed to look like a supermodel as you leave the hospital with a three day old!

    ReplyDelete